If the time comes to hire a lawyer, regardless of the reason, you'll have many options. The path you follow depends on a variety of factors, such as the information you're able to gather from the lawyers you're considering.
It's critical to find the perfect lawyer for your case in Illinois, as doing so gives you peace of mind and puts you in position for success.
Here are five questions to ask every lawyer you're considering:
- Can you explain your experience? It's good to start with an understanding of how long the lawyer has been practicing law. However, keep this in mind: You want to choose a lawyer with targeted experience. You shouldn't hire a bankruptcy attorney to defend you in a criminal case.
- Do I fit the profile of your typical client? The answer to this question provides a better understanding of the types of people the lawyer has worked with in the past.
- Have you taken on cases like mine in the past? It's good to ask this question, which will lead you toward obtaining information on how much success the lawyer has achieved.
- What are your fees? This varies from one lawyer to the next, so don't be shy about asking about fees and costs up front. With a clear idea of the fees and how you're billed, there won't be any surprises down the road. Remember, no two attorneys have the exact same fee structure and billing terms.
- What is your strategy for tackling my legal problem? An experienced lawyer can provide you with a basic overview of the strategy that will work best for you, based on the details of your case.
By asking these questions, you'll better understand what a lawyer offers and if they're the right choice for you.
Unfortunately, it doesn't matter how many questions you ask, you may not end up with the level of service you expected. For instance, your lawyer could make a mistake, such as missing a filing deadline, which costs you time and money.
If you have reason to believe you have a legal malpractice clam against your lawyer, don't hesitate to learn more. You need to protect your legal rights, as doing so will put you in best position to obtain the outcome you were originally searching for.